Sabine Doolin – Director
I am an internationally experienced audience strategist, bringing skills and expertise in leading strategic audience thinking, embedding it in an organisation and translating it into cultural change.
I blend skills in strategy, commercial management and organisational development, gained in a career at world leading branded consumer goods company Procter & Gamble, with a post-graduate MA in art history and my experience working for Tate, to bring audience focus to the heart of cultural organisations.
The first Audience Insight Manager for the Tate galleries in the UK: I led the audience research programme as well as the development of a new audience strategy for Tate. I expanded Tate’s audience understanding to make Tate more audience focused and inclusive, covering all four galleries – Tate Modern, the world’s most visited modern and contemporary art museum (with its new extension that opened in June 2016), Tate Britain, Tate Liverpool and Tate St Ives.
Committee member of the Visitor Studies Group, a members association that actively contributes to the development of the visitor studies profession in the UK and runs an annual conference.
I changed into the cultural sector after over 15 years at global branded consumer goods company Procter & Gamble, where I held a range of marketing and customer business development positions across several countries and product categories including leading brand teams, supporting several internal reorganisations and delivering internal training programmes.
- MSc Economic & Social Sciences
- Harvard Business Case Study Programme
- Post-graduate MLitt History of Art
- Arts Council England Cultural Leadership Programme
- Clore Leadership Programme
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts;
- Museums Aotearoa;
- Auckland Museum Institute;
- Auckland Art Gallery..
- Museums Aotearoa conference 2017, New Zealand: Inviting in: Audiences change, we change – making Tate more inclusive
- PlusTate Network meeting, Wakefield, UK, 2016: Embracing audiences, embracing change
- Tate training programme for the Ministry of Heritage and Culture of the Sultanate of Oman, London, 2015: Understanding audiences
- Communicating the Museum conference, Sydney, 2014: Are you ready for young audiences?
- The Connected Audience conference, Berlin, 2014: Let’s talk about the practice
- Tate and King’s College – Inside Today’s Museum Course, London 2013-2015: The museum and its audience
- Tate with Kings’s College London – Towards Tomorrow’s Museum Course, 2013: Understanding Tate’s visitors
- Museum & Heritage Show, London, 2013: Evaluating a new dimension: The Tanks at Tate Modern
- King’s College, Evaluating Evaluation Colloquium, London, 2012: Insights from Tate Britain collection displays visitor research
- University of Westminster, MA Museums, Galleries and Contemporary Culture, London, 2011-2016: Understanding audiences and their experience
- ACMC Platform for Cultural Marketing and Communication, Amsterdam, 2011: “Understanding audiences”
I am based in Auckland, New Zealand, and flexible to work with organisations nationally and internationally.
Unlocking insight – unlocking change – unlocking audiences
InsightUnlocked Limited (company number 6195468), trading as “InsightUnlocked”.