Sabine Doolin – Director
An internationally experienced strategist, I bring skills and expertise in providing strategic, audience-focused thinking and activating it in an organisation for the benefit of both the organisation and its audience.
My skills in consumer understanding, strategy, commercial management and organisational development result from a career at world leading branded consumer goods company Procter & Gamble. After a joyful and mind-opening time doing a post-graduate MA in art history, I transferred my skills to the cultural sector and worked for Tate. Leading on audience strategy and insight, I brought more audience focus and inclusive thinking to the decision making and strategic direction of the four Tate galleries – Tate Modern, the world’s most visited modern and contemporary art museum, Tate Britain, Tate Liverpool and Tate St Ives.
I want to share my passion for arts and culture with more people, so a motivation for broader and more diverse audiences and deeper engagement underpins my approach.
Based on this, I founded InsightUnlocked when I relocated to New Zealand. Based in Auckland, I am flexible to work with organisations in New Zealand, Australia and internationally.
Education & professional development
Design Thinking Fundamentals for Customer Experience
Clore Leadership Programme
Arts Council England Cultural Leadership Programme
MLitt History of Art and Art World Practice (Post-grad)
Harvard Business Case Study Programme
MSc Economic & Social Sciences
Other things I am involved in:
Facilitated contact between Auckland Art Gallery (AAG) and San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) that led to a chatbot through Facebook Messenger giving online audiences a new way to explore AAG’s collection. In collaboration with Anna Leary, Objective Virtual Marketing.
Talks & workshops
- CAUTHE 2020: Event Think Tank Workshop Audiencing
- Creative New Zealand Nui te kōrero 2019: Workshop Tear up the audience rulebook, with Sally Manuireva
- Australian Museums and Galleries Association Conference 2019: Workshop Tear up the audience rulebook, with Sally Manuireva
- Auckland University – Art History, Museums & Cultural Heritage Seminar 2018: Opportunities and challenges for developing audiences for 21st century museums.
- Museums Aotearoa conference 2017: Inviting in: Audiences change, we change.
- Tate training programme for the Ministry of Heritage and Culture of the Sultanate of Oman, London 2015: Understanding audiences.
- Communicating the Museum conference, Sydney 2014: Are you ready for young audiences?
- The Connected Audience conference, Berlin 2014: Let’s talk about the practice.
- University of Westminster, MA Museums, Galleries and Contemporary Culture, London 2011-2016: Understanding audiences and their experience.
- Tate and King’s College courses “Inside Today’s Museum” and “Towards Tomorrow’s Museum”, London 2013-2015: The museum and its audience.
I love art, dancing tango, walking along New Zealand’s beautiful coast line, discovering more about the cultures of the Pacific, and if I could time travel, I’d spend some time in Vienna around 1900.
Unlocking insight – unlocking strategy – unlocking audiences