Insight – Strategy – Activation
With tools around insight, strategy and activation, InsightUnlocked works with you and your team to unlock the audience potential of your organisation:
Bring your research to life and understand your audience
- Review of research, data and context
- Making more of existing research
- Facilitating persona, empathy map and visitor journey map development
- Identifying audience research needs or gaps
- Developing a research brief
- Stakeholder consultation
- SWOT analysis
Develop clear strategies that align with your purpose
- Strategic review
- Strategic planning
- Audience strategy
- Strategy workshop
- Linking strategy to purpose and vision (refreshing these if needed)
- Reframing your challenges
- Feasibility study
- Defining success and its measures
Activate your team to move from strategy to action
- Developing an activation plan for your strategy
- Engaging and motivating staff across functions
- Capability building
- Workshop facilitation, training sessions, presentations
- Project management
We can also facilitate a design thinking processes – more about design thinking and its role in audience development in this blog post.
Tear Up the Audience Rulebook ©
Tear Up the Audience Rulebook is a unique and transformational organisational development programme that offers a new approach for placing audiences at the centre of your organisation for the long term.
It included interactive workshop activities, a unique card game and more around 7 dimensions of audience focus, to help you discover:
- What is holding you/your organisation back from placing audiences at the centre?
- What does ‘good’ look like across 7 dimensions of audience focus?
- What questions to ask and conversations to have in order to more strongly place audiences at the centre?
Please get in touch if you would like to find out more.
To find out how audience focused you (your organisation) are, answer this short 10-question test to find out and get some free tips on how to develop your audience focus further.
- Christchurch Art Gallery Te Puna o Waiwhetū: Developed a new audience strategy better linked to the Gallery’s vision and activated it with a cross-functional team
- MOTAT Museum of Transport and Technology: Created an audience development and research framework. Used the museum’s audience research and facilitated workshops to identify its strategic target audiences
- Govett-Brewster Art Gallery/Len Lye Centre: Presented about ‘opportunities and challenges for 21st century museums’ and facilitated a discussion with the Gallery’s local council management
- Museums Wellington: Conducted a feasibility study for the development of the Cable Car Museum
- Auckland Council: Conducted a strategic review of Papakura Museum
- Tim Bray Theatre Company: Developed a strategic plan for the children’s theatre company
- University of Auckland Library: Facilitated a Creativity, Wellbeing & Team-building workshop in collaboration with artist Sam Melser
- Auckland Philharmonia Orchestra: Facilitated a Tear Up The Audience Rule Book workshop with a cross-functional team
- MOTAT: Developed a 5-year visitor experience plan and an associated staff activation programme (see the case study)
- Whāngarei Art Museum: Developed an audience strategy for the Hātea Art Precinct (including the Hundertwasser Art Centre with Wairau Māori Art Gallery and Whāngarei Art Museum)
- Govett-Brewster Art Gallery/Len Lye Centre: Developed a 5-year audience engagement strategy with the Public Engagement team
- National Museum of the Royal New Zealand Navy Te Waka Huia o te Taua Moana o Aotearoa: Developed a 5-year Audience Strategy with the team
Presentations, facilitated discussions and workshops on topics around audiences, in-person or online. Previous talks include:
- Museums Aotearoa zui (zoom) July 2020: Visitors: what, who and how? – Manifesto for Audience Focus
- Council of Australasian Tourism and Hospitality Education conference 2020, Auckland: Event Think Tank Workshop Audiencing
- Creative New Zealand Nui te kōrero 2019, Wellington: interactive presentation Tear up the audience rulebook
- Australian Museums and Galleries Association Conference 2019, Alice Springs: interactive presentation Tear up the audience rulebook
- Auckland University, Art History, Museums & Cultural Heritage Seminar 2018: Opportunities and challenges for developing audiences for 21st century museums.
- Museums Aotearoa conference 2017, Palmerston North: Inviting in: Audiences change, we change.
- Tate training programme for the Ministry of Heritage and Culture of the Sultanate of Oman, London 2015: Understanding audiences.
- Communicating the Museum conference 2014, Sydney: Are you ready for young audiences?
- The Connected Audience conference 2014, Berlin: Panel discussion Let’s talk about the practice.
- University of Westminster, MA Museums, Galleries and Contemporary Culture, London 2011-2016: interactive lecture on Understanding audiences and their experience.
- Tate and King’s College courses “Inside Today’s Museum” and “Towards Tomorrow’s Museum”, London 2013-2015: The museum and its audience.
Please get in touch for more information, to discuss your needs and how we could support you.
Unlocking insight – unlocking strategy – unlocking audiences