Insight – Strategy – Activation
With tools around insight, strategy and activation, InsightUnlocked works with you and your team to unlock the audience potential of your organisation:
Bring your audience research to life and understand your audience
- Review of audience research, data and context
- Making more of existing research
- Identifying audience research needs or gaps
- Developing an audience research brief and facilitating research providers
- Stakeholder consultation
- SWOT analysis
Unlock your insight with clear audience strategies that align your purpose
- Strategic review
- Strategic planning
- Audience strategy
- Strategy workshop
- Linking strategy to purpose and vision (refreshing these if needed)
- Reframing your challenges
- Feasibility study
- Defining success and its measures
Activate your team to move from strategy to action
- Developing an activation plan for your insight and your strategy
- Engaging and motivating staff across functions
- Capability building
- Workshop facilitation, training sessions, presentations
- Project management
Let’s discuss your challenges and we develop a tailored proposal to meet your needs. Please get in touch.
Tear Up the Audience Rulebook ©: Placing audiences at the centre
In addition to the above services, Tear Up the Audience Rulebook is a unique and transformational organisational development programme that offers a new approach for placing audiences at the centre of your organisation for the long term.
It includes interactive workshop activities, a unique card game and more around 7 dimensions of audience focus, to help you discover:
- What is holding you/your organisation back from placing audiences at the centre?
- What does ‘good’ look like across 7 dimensions of audience focus?
- What questions to ask and conversations to have in order to more strongly place audiences at the centre?
Please get in touch if you would like to find out more.
- Christchurch Art Gallery Te Puna o Waiwhetū: Developed a new audience strategy better linked to the Gallery’s vision and activated it with a cross-functional team
- MOTAT Museum of Transport and Technology: Created an audience development and research framework. Used the museum’s audience research and facilitated workshops to identify its strategic target audiences
- Govett-Brewster Art Gallery/Len Lye Centre: Presented about ‘opportunities and challenges for 21st century museums’ and facilitated a discussion with the Gallery’s local council management
- Museums Wellington: Conducted a feasibility study for the development of the Cable Car Museum
- Auckland Council: Conducted a strategic review of Papakura Museum
- Tim Bray Theatre Company: Developed a strategic plan for the children’s theatre company
- University of Auckland Library: Facilitated a Creativity, Wellbeing & Team-building workshop in collaboration with artist Sam Melser
- Auckland Philharmonia Orchestra: Facilitated a Tear Up The Audience Rule Book workshop with a cross-functional team
- MOTAT: Developed a 5-year visitor experience plan and an associated staff activation programme (see the case study)
- Whāngarei Art Museum: Developed an audience strategy for the Hātea Art Precinct (including the Hundertwasser Art Centre with Wairau Māori Art Gallery and Whāngarei Art Museum)
- Govett-Brewster Art Gallery/Len Lye Centre: Developed a 5-year audience engagement strategy with the Public Engagement team
- National Museum of the Royal New Zealand Navy Te Waka Huia o te Taua Moana o Aotearoa: Developed a 5-year Audience Strategy with the team
Presentations, trainings and workshops
Presentations, facilitated discussions, trainings and workshops on topics around audiences – previous ones include:
- Otago Museum – Tū Tonu Regional Museums project, South Island NZ, June 2022: Multi-venue Audience Workshop: Refresh your thinking about audience development and how to develop more audience focus through insight, strategy and activation.
- Museums Aotearoa zui (zoom) July 2020: Visitors: what, who and how? – Manifesto for Audience Focus
- Council of Australasian Tourism and Hospitality Education conference 2020, Auckland: Event Think Tank Workshop Audiencing
- Creative New Zealand Nui te kōrero 2019, Wellington: interactive presentation Tear up the audience rulebook
- Australian Museums and Galleries Association Conference 2019, Alice Springs: interactive presentation Tear up the audience rulebook
- Auckland University, Art History, Museums & Cultural Heritage Seminar 2018: Opportunities and challenges for developing audiences for 21st century museums.
- Museums Aotearoa conference 2017, Palmerston North: Inviting in: Audiences change, we change.
- Tate training programme for the Ministry of Heritage and Culture of the Sultanate of Oman, London 2015: Understanding audiences.
- Communicating the Museum conference 2014, Sydney: Are you ready for young audiences?
- The Connected Audience conference 2014, Berlin: Panel discussion Let’s talk about the practice.
- University of Westminster, MA Museums, Galleries and Contemporary Culture, London 2011-2016: interactive lecture on Understanding audiences and their experience.
- Tate and King’s College courses “Inside Today’s Museum” and “Towards Tomorrow’s Museum”, London 2013-2015: The museum and its audience.
Please get in touch for more information, to discuss your needs and how we could support you.
Unlocking insight – unlocking strategy – unlocking audiences